Upcoming Webinars Resources Blogs and Articles
Export NOW, is a national export education and expansion program and is an initiative of Women Impacting Public Policy and the WIPP Education Foundation (a 501(c)3), in partnership with the U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration (ITA) to increase awareness about exporting in the U.S. business community.
WIPP Signs Strategic Partnership with International Trade Administration
July 16, 2015
WIPP Launches Export NOW – New Opportunities Worldwide
October 16, 2012
WIPP Announces Export Program at Clinton Global Initiative America
June 8, 2012
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS WITH US --> PARTICIPATE IN EXPORT NOW ONLINE SURVEY
Unmet Need/Problem Statement:
In spite of the quality and quantity of the government’s effort to promote export trade, the reality is that US foreign trade information is often overwhelming. Trade development resources and guides can be sparse and/or difficult to locate and those resources are disbursed throughout several agencies or among different agency departments.
If you are the owner of a small business that is interested in exploring the potential opportunity in exporting, there is no easy point of entry, much less an easy step-by-step process to follow. Further, pursing women entrepreneurial participation, we believe there are very few women business owners who are currently exporters.
You Don't Need To Be Big To Export!
National data for all small businesses and for women entrepreneurs:
- 95% of consumers live outside of the U.S.
- 80% of the world economic growth forecasted to occur outside the U.S.
- $2.3T of U.S. goods and services exported in 2013.
- U.S. metropolitan areas in 2014 set export highs for the fifth year in a row exceeding $1.44 trillion in goods exports.
- In 2007, women-owned firms (7.8 million) made up 29.6 percent of all classifiable firms (26.3 million), but the 19,739 women-owned exporters accounted for only 12.1 percent of classifiable exporting firms (163,419).
- Average export value for women-owned exporting firms was $766,748 compared with $1.2 million for men-owned exporting firms.
- Average receipts for women-owned exporting firms were $14.5 million compared with $117,036 for women-owned non-exporting firms.
- The average number of employees for women-owned exporting employer firms was 42; the comparable number for women-owned non-exporting employer firms was 8.
- Average productivity for women-owned employer exporters (i.e., receipts per employee) was $389,757; the comparable calculation for women-owned employer non-exporters was $107,288.
- U.S. exports are in high demand
- Average revenue per exporting firm, $23M
- 98% of U.S. exporters are small and mid-sized businesses
- Digital technologies enable entrepreneurs to be “micro-multinationals” that sell and source products, services and ideas across boarders.
- Export NOW's goals are aligned with President Obama’s National Export initiative goal of doubling exports over the next 5 years.
- Export trade is large and growing, providing significant economic impact.
- In 2012 WIPP partnered with the Clinton Global Initiative to make Export NOW an official CGI Commitment to Action, featured onstage with President Clinton during the 2012 CGI America conference.
- WIPP has extensive Congressional and Administration relationships.
- Covers the basics of exporting, introducing both the opportunities and providing a pathway for exporters to work through and break down the complexities of international trade and regulatory requirements.
- Provides advanced programming for exporters to grow and expand their business to new markets.
- Covers key considerations involved in export such as finance, IP, logistics, technology, etc.
- Describes export sales channels with detailed segments on market analysis and building the market plan, including financing requirements and opportunities.
- Includes the government’s role as both promoter and regulator of exports.
- Brings the “experts” from both the public and private sectors to the table to inform, educate and coach in its on-line on-demand education program and live regional events.