MyWireless.org Communications and Policy Update - July
Tuesday, July 1, 2014
Communications and Policy Update
Here is the monthly communications and policy update for July.
Great success last month with the House Judiciary Committee passage of the ‘Permanent Internet Tax Freedom Act’ by a vote of 30-4. There was a lot of great advocacy and commentary on the issue in the lead up to, during, and after the committee vote through action alerts, articles, blogs, op-eds and support letters. These collective activities brought significant attention (and education) to the issue and no doubt helped encourage passage and discussion of next steps for the bill on the House floor.
As for next steps, the goal is now to get the bill to the House floor for a clean vote as soon as possible. Increased commentary and discussion of the bill, particularly in the states and districts as members go home, will definitely help get it across the finish line. As for the Senate side, the same call for swift and urgent action to move and pass the bill needs to be made. Time is running out and the Senate needs to act to avoid the moratorium’s expiration at the beginning of November.
Along the way, it is also good to bring attention back to the other pro consumer bills in the House and Senate that are still waiting in the wings – the ‘Wireless Tax Fairness Act’ and‘Digital Goods and Services Tax Fairness Act.’ Both have broad bipartisan support and need to be passed this Congress.
Speaking of the digital goods issue, we have a new Digital Goods and Services Tax Fairness Act petition up on change.org. Almost 65,000 signers so far - spread the word. We will be posting a petition on the Wireless Tax Fairness Act soon as well.
Last week we released the data from our 2014 Annual Consumer Survey and posted a blog on the findings. Check out the survey results/blog and share.
Next week we will be posting the results of our 2014 African American Consumer Survey. Be on the lookout for it.
There was a lot of great coalition content over the past month. Here is a small sample:
· Phoenix Center op-ed in The Hill: Congressional gridlock threatens to tax the Internet
· Americans for Tax Reform letter: ATR in conjunction with Digital Liberty Urge House Representatives to Co-Sponsor PITFA
· National Taxpayers Union letter: NTU extends support for H.R. 3086, the Permanent Internet Tax Freedom Act (PITFA)
· Citizens Against Government Waste blog(and letter): Tick Tock Goes The Clock – But H.R. 3086 Passes First Hurdle
· Institute for Policy Innovation blog: Movement of the Permanent Internet Tax Moratorium
· Tax Foundation blog: House Judiciary Committee Passes the Permanent Internet Tax Freedom Act
· Watchdog.org article in Human Events: Permanent internet tax ban moves forward in the House
· Information Technology and Innovation Foundation blog: Misinformation in the Internet Tax Freedom Act Debate
· Politic365 article: Wireless an Essential Service for Minorities; Increased Taxation Could Hinder Use
· US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce op-ed in The Latin Post: The Mobile Future of Hispanic Business
· Franklin Center op-ed in Roll Call: Congress Needs To Act To Keep The Internet Tax-Free
Why We Can’t Let the Internet Tax Freedom Act Expire
House Judiciary Committee to Move on Internet Tax Freedom
New Survey Shows Wireless Consumer Satisfaction is High, as is Opposition to Excessive Taxation
Wireless in the news:
The Internet of You
As wearable devices get better-looking and more powerful, we’ll probably trust them to monitor more of our lives: http://bit.ly/TRaOSL via MIT Technology Review
Mobile Health: Prediction and Prevention: June WOW Wireless at Work
Watch this for a glimpse into the future mHealth, including predicting & preventing disease or health-related events: http://bit.ly/1wV6QY0 via CTIA – The Wireless Association
A Look at the Mobile Emergency Alert System
A look at the Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) system: http://bit.ly/T7AcD2 via Boston Globe
Lawmakers push to ban taxes on Internet service
Anti-Internet tax bill to move in House http://tinyurl.com/k3ax8tc via The Hill
Internet Freedom Lives
Good news: The House Judiciary Committee plans to (finally) mark up the Permanent Internet Tax Freedom Act this week: http://on.wsj.com/1kXYwlE via The Wall Street Journal
Rural clinics increasingly turn to telemedicine
Physicians in rural clinics are increasingly turning to telemedicine to connect with & consult other physicians: http://bit.ly/UomTz5 via The Associated Press
Connect Your Health
Wearables (wireless devices worn as clothing/accessories) are hot items, but did you know they can also save your life? http://bit.ly/1kKInji via CTIA – The Wireless Association
Smartphone Innovation Is About Seniors and mHealth: http://bit.ly/1y8SdB5 via Medical Marking & Media
Will Congress Keep The Internet Tax Free?: http://onforb.es/1lLBpfp via Forbes
Parent’s Guide to Mobile Phones Now Available
For tips on to educating kids about responsible wireless use, check out the "Parent’s Guide to Mobile Phones": http://bit.ly/1yGtXGE via CTIA – The Wireless Association
These Scientists Just Sent Smells Via Smartphone
Just can't wait to deliver the beautiful bouquet you bought her? Well, scientists just sent smells via smartphone: http://ti.me/1lkI0MC via TIME